Farm Country Bike Tour: A Guide to Local Farms in Sunderland, Massachusetts
"The simple hearth of the small farm is the true center of our universe." - Masanobu Fukuoka
Long days, warm temps, and fresh produce all around can only mean one thing: summer is in full swing in Western Mass! One of our favorite things to do mid-summer is hop on a bike and take in the sights of the rolling farmland with the warm, fresh air on our skin and the scent of wildflowers and pick-your-own fruit in the air.
Studded with acres of potato and sunflower fields, and rustic tobacco barns, our Farm Country Bike Tour will take you along a scenic trip through Sunderland and North Hadley in Western Massachusetts. With the tranquil Lake Warner in the background and several local farms along the way, this ride is peaceful with plenty of opportunities to stop, rest, and enjoy fresh, seasonal, and most importantly, delicious treats from our favorite farmstands and markets. Grab your bike (or rent one of ours!), a Farm Tour map, and come see what makes these local, can't-miss farms so special!
- Carr’s Ciderhouse – This gorgeous, family-owned orchard specializes in handcrafted small batch, naturally made hard ciders as well as other tasty cider-based delights for the pantry. Located on the northwest slope of Mt. Warner this striking orchard overlooks the Connecticut River Valley, making it the perfect place to stop along your ride to take in the views and try something refreshing and delicious.
- North Hadley Sugar Shack – Another family-owned local treasure, the North Hadley Sugar Shack is a must-visit. With a year-round market, bakery, and deli, you can find anything from fragrant flowers to an array of incredible maple products making a trip to the Sugar Shack a quintessentially New Englad experience.
- Millstone Market – Owned and operated by one of the country’s longest-running family farms, the Millstone Market has a long and impressive history of serving Sunder and many of the surrounding towns in the valley. Offering seasonal fruits and veggies grown across the street on their family farm and high-quality meats, the Millstone is a true one-stop shop with a rustic and hometown feel.
- Smiarowski Farmstand and Creamy – Another local favorite for fresh produce and yummy treats, this Sunderland farmstand is the perfect place to reward yourself for a ride under the summer sun. We recommend trying a scoop (or two!) of some of the best ice cream in the region.
- Thomas Farm & Dairy - While best known for their award-winning chevre this local farm offers a range farm-fresh and seasonal produce, vegetable starts, plants, eggs, and more. The farm stand is open daily and year-round so there’s no wrong time to swing by and check out all that Thomas Farm has to offer!
While not an exhaustive list of the many (many!) farms in Western Mass, we think that this is a great start if you're looking to explore some of our local gems!
NEED A BIKE RENTAL?
We've got you!
We have a fleet of 24, recreational bikes that are comfortable for rides up to 20 miles. The bikes are flat bar, ten speeds. Twelve bikes include disc brakes, wider tires, and a more durable frame which are designed for gravel roads. The remainder of the fleet is appropriate for road riding. These are the perfect bike for our Farm Country rides.